Saturday, December 21, 2013

Master

I am continuing my obsessive behavior as it relates to music production. I have my new lappy configured and that is what I will be using out in the studio (I use the term studio very loosely) to lay down the track captures.

I figured out how to monitor a track with effects in the mix but still put down a dry take. Using a trick I learned from watching one of Johnny Geib's videos, I used the interface for the 1818VSL to get effects into my headphones while laying down vocals.

The other milestone made today was setting up shares on my network and sending song files back and forth. I can now record with my laptop out in the studio and then move the project to my main production machine. There, I can make use of all the extra goodies I have.

The last sigh of relief came when my Studio One 2 DAW did not crash my laptop due to my not having the third party plugins downloaded. It warns me that they are not there and that is cool yet, the software I have used in the past did not work that way. It just would not work. Again, I have been out of the recording/production gig for a long time. I am so pleased with how software and gear work so well together now. Besides, I plan to use this laptop for tracking and not production. Yes, I can install the third party plugins but most of them only allow two instances. I am going to save the last activations for when I really have an idea of where this whole obsession is heading.



 



When it comes to tracking vocals, getting the best performance from the singer is key. Having an EQ'd send to the headphones with some effects like delay and reverb, go a long way to achieving a good dry capture. I like to add all my effects while in mix down. This set up works very well.




I placed the mic's on the drum kit and will run cables next. Once that is done I will bring the lappy and the 1818VSL out. Then, I am tracking. Digital is so fucking cool. I can take some captures and use them to fine tune the microphone placement on the drums. So much faster than the analog days. This is not a proper studio by any stretch of the imagination.... but shit, I used to build bikes in here too. I already have my eye on some acoustical treatment for the room..... and some room left on my VISA.

The Half-N-Half sessions are coming together and I am laying down vocals. I have done some in the house using the production machine and now will see how things go out in the studio.

So, when I can figure out how to post a song up here I will.


PsychoManifesto

2 comments:

  1. Lookin forward to hearing the fruits of your musical labours Wheelman !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mate! Great to hear from you. Speaking of musical labours.... i could always use a critical ear. If you are interested in taking a pre-release listen, shoot me an email at wheelman0130@gmail.com and i will hook you up with my dropbox account. From there you can download the latest mixes. I have a feeling that your thoughts and opinions would be valuable in getting a great final mix. Nothing like another set of ears!!!

    ReplyDelete