Saturday, December 14, 2013

Master

I have been mixing a Half-n-Half song titled "Out of the Bag". I believe it is the first attempt at recording with the Presonus gear and has been very challenging. The captures were not that good with rhythm guitar being the worst and bass guitar a close second. I bought the Slate FG-X compressor plugin which is very sensitive. It brought out the bad in those captures beautifully! So much so I cannot even use this fine plug in the mix.

My digital recording experience in the past was pretty much centered on ADAT's and the old Wave-Pro interfaces. I used a DAW called Sound Forge yet I still relied heavily on using tape machines to get the warmth and sound I wanted.

Although Studio One has a nice selection of native plugins, I needed a set of plugins to warm up the mix so I also picked up the Slate Virtual Tape Machines and the Virtual Console Collection. The latter emulates the old Trident mixing console as one of its settings. Combined they really glued the mix together quite well. The last plugin (for now) that I bought is the Eventide H3000 Factory. I had mentioned in a previous post that many years ago I had sold my beloved Eventide vocal processor. Now, I have it in digital form.... so fucking cool.

In that first take in the sessions with H+H the PA was live and bleeding heavily in the left drum overhead mic. Couple that with me having the mic on the rhythm guitar 180 degrees out. DUMBASS! It took some creative EQ to fix it. I laid down some lead and backing vocals and attempted to blend it in with bleed from the PA. This seems to be working pretty good so far. I am going to lay down some rhythm guitar and accent tracks as well to balance the guitars out.


My little corner of the living room is fast becoming a music production studio. My obsession seems to have no boundaries.

PschoManifesto

No comments:

Post a Comment