Friday, February 7, 2014

Studio

Last weekend my close friends Bean and Hafjac came over and helped me rack up some old gear. Bean moved stuff around and Hafy manned the fillips tip screw driver. Best of all, they handled my "do it my way personality" pretty damn well. I thank you Brothers.

Some of the gear has not seen tron flow for over 10 years and i was hoping all the tubes would light up and... they did! Behringer tube pre's and compressor/gates will handle incoming signal duties. Not top of the line stuff by any stretch of the imagination but, when used properly they sound very good. In live settings they help control the bleed from other mic's. I am still far away from building my studio into one with true isolation so they help in that environment as well. At this point better gear would not produce better results.

I recently picked up some more microphones, stands, cables and tie-wraps. I found a 16x4 snake at a pawn shop on the cheap and picked up a reference mic at the same time. Now days instead of needing expensive outboard gear to shoot (measure frequency response) a room you can use a laptop, free software and some white noise (full spectrum noise). I will be shooting both the master studio and the tracking studio in preparation for some acoustical treatment.

I am mixing a new track for the Half-N-Half album titled "Dont" and am getting more excited every day to go back to the family ranch in Vacaville CA and record.

Eight years ago i was recording in here. Over the ensuing years i have continued to jam with close friends, build motorcycles here and store way to much crap. Thinning the crap out now and slowly bringing her back to the former status of "Studio".

PsychoManifesto Music Production.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful time yesterday watching you guys play..thank you brother..

    ReplyDelete
  2. David is very talented and did very well for his first foray into a studio. I enjoyed the session very much and appreciate you guys coming over and hanging out. Thanks Brotha!

    ReplyDelete