Saturday, January 11, 2014

Master

It has been a while since i have updated you all on progress with my mix/master studio. Near the end of last year i bought another piece of gear off the ol' Egay so to bring my live capture capabilities up to 16 tracks. I found a Presonus Digimax FS and made the seller an offer. Almost two weeks later it finally arrived.

There were several reasons that i chose this unit. First and foremost it is a Presonus product and i figured they would play nice together. Second, the inputs are on the front of the unit like my 1818VSL. As i designed my live capture rig it was imperative that i have easy access to switch around mikes to different channels. Finally, not unlike the outboard gear i will be using, the FS unit is tried and true. It has been around since 2006 and although it is out of production now it has a great reputation as a mic preamp. Also, the price was right at $275.00.







It did not take long at all to get the two units synced together and the input/output configured. Using a vocal mic and moving it around to different inputs helped me troubleshoot the bugs out.

My next step is to get the gear rack mounted into road cases. This will include some gear i found in what i thought were empty cases. Turns out i did not sell all my processing gear after all.

My next update will chronicle the racking of my gear and cabling the side chain processing units. Also, i finally got permission from my better half to move my my setup away from the side wall and do some acoustical treatment. The speaker location is causing some horrendous low frequency mud while i am mixing, very hard to work around. Been watching some video's on how to build my bass traps and other absorption pieces using stuff from the local home improvement store.

PsychoManifesto Music Production

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff mate, glad it's coming along for you, for all my time spent in studios over the last thirty years, it's still all magic and mystery to me . . . d'oh !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A studio is no good without talent like yours using it Brother!

    ReplyDelete